And I loved it. It’s got a really cute execution and has
been cast well. The woman in the commercial is immensely likeable.
But I wasn’t sure that it did the job it was meant to. For a
simple reason – it seemed like the execution idea overpowered the main message –
that Airtel is indeed the network of choice for smart phones.
Make no mistake – the essentials are all there – a voice call
indicating high speeds, reliable connectivity – and the such like.
But what makes the commercial memorable is the fact that the
woman is the man’s boss @ work and then his wife; post office hours.
That’s what people will remember; it’ll be the ad with the “woman
boss”.
There is nothing wrong with the principle of it –
advertising should be a torch bearer for changing roles of women in India. It
is a reflection of the society we live in and sometimes; an inspiration for the
life people should lead.
But it should do this while staying true to it’s commercial
responsibility; which; in this case; would’ve been the need to drive preference
for Airtel amongst the ever increasing smart phone user base in India.
Which I am not sure it does.
Just like I am not sure that the “2nd marriage”
commercial from Tanishq does the best job it should in making people consider Tanishq
as well for buying their wedding jewellery.
Will people consider buying Tanishq wedding jewellery
because it supports “2nd marriages”? I understand that it could
appeal to women by openly supporting the concept; but is that the most compelling
argument?
Compared to these, from Tanishq? –
Showcasing a modern woman’s ideology is a perfectly
legitimate means of appealing to women.
My question is around whether that in itself suffices as an
advertising idea; like in Tanishq’s case. Or is it a conversation so overpowering
that the main message could get lost; like in the case of the Airtel
commercial?
There are many brilliant minds behind both the campaigns I’ve
mentioned. And there must definitely have been countless hours spent on
strategy and creative execution to think through and iron out these issues. And
hence my assumption is that there is enough evidence in place to indicate that
my concern is misplaced.
It’s just that I don’t see it.

Comments