On July 6, 1994; a quaint little movie called "Forrest Gump" released, a good 20 years back from today.I call it quaint and little because back then, in 1994, Hollywood movies weren't as main stream in India as they are now. Yes, the dinosaurs had come and gone. Or may be, they were still playing in the theatres. And Star Movies came about a year or two later.
For a 14 year old; movies like True Lies and Star Wars reboots were obviously more exciting and worth the trek from New Bombay to Sterling Cinemas, in town.
So when people spoke about this super movie that we just had to watch, I was apprehensive. No action, no comedy, no PG 18 rating, nothing at all.
Also; at that time, my fanatical obsession with the movies didn't exist. I did look forward to the occasional new release like Henna, Hum Hain Rahee Pyaar Ke, True Lies, Khalnayak but it was more of as a means of entertainment, away from the study books.
All that changed - with Forrest Gump
From the time the movie took off with the dialogue; "Run Forrest Run"; i was in love with the movies - hook, line and sinker.
I left the hall having had my first genuine, "meaningful" movie experience. I came out feeling slightly smarter, about the world i lived in because truth be told, before that, i had just read about the Nam war briefly in history books. I hadn't known about the swinging 70's or American football.
But more importantly, i came out feeling that adrenaline rush you get when you've really liked doing something. I felt it, from "Forrest Gump"
And when i saw DDLJ, Twelve Angry Men, Rocky, Rangeela, Speed, Pulp Fiction, 1942 - A Love Story, Droh Kaal, Naaraaz - all in the next 10-12 months, my love for the movies grew into the passion it is today.
But it all started with that "quaint, little" movie called Forrest Gump.
Which is why every time i go to NY, i make it a point to have a meal or a cocktail at Bubba Gump on Times Square.
It feels like i'm paying homage.
And i'm doing the same, with this blog.
Comments