In one of those games people play where everyone is supposed
to identify the sit com (although movies would’ve been nicer J) character they’d like
to be; I said “SHELDON COOPER”.
At that time, it seemed like a fairly random answer, driven
by the first name that came to mind. But it wasn’t actually as random. It is my
favorite sitcom. And Dr. Cooper is my favorite character.
Given that I like most romedys and had a particular liking
for the quirks of Chandler Bing, I did find my spontaneous answer surprising.
After all Sheldon Cooper is the unlikely hero. He’s a
socially awkward, arrogant guy who can be a giant pain in the arse.
But he does justify a lot of behaviors that many men
struggle with, which makes him really relatable. Looking at him make people
believe:-
1.
It’s ok to be “socially impaired”; i.e. having
trouble interacting with people you don’t know. Or saying the wrongest things
to them.
2.
It’s ok to be uncomfortable with “physical affection”-
Not everyone can be comfortable with it. And if you’re one of them, that is
fine.
3.
There are many ways to show affection. Just
because you are not a “hugging” type of person does not make you any less
affectionate.
4.
Everyone has quirks. And all of them can be
adorable, if seen for what they are; quirks.
5.
Like a former boss of mine said “It’s OK to be
arrogant, as long as you’ve earned it”
6.
There is such a thing as a “zone”; a time when
you are at your best with your work. And it can happen anytime.
7.
Close friends and their problems need your
immediate and undivided attention, even if it gets in the way of things you
love doing.
There are many more – most of which are captured in this
article.
And if you don’t really agree; then all I have to say to you
is something Sheldon says “Don’t you think if I were wrong, I’d know it” J
Comments