Skip to main content

The art of blind, elite criticism

We live in a social circle where it’s almost fashionable to diss Chetan Bhagat, Salman Khan flicks.

To turn our noses up and say; “I don’t understand who reads his books/watches his movies. They’re so mindless”

That is just a whole load of crap.

Statistically; their success means just one thing. That our perception of quality is in reality, the opinion of a significant minority.

That just like our votes are not going to make a significant difference to any election; our view makes no difference to the popularity of those who cater to the masses.

It is particularly frustrating when people in the business of catering to the masses – marketers, advertisers, claim they don’t understand Chetan Bhagat or Salman Khan’s mantra for success.

Because these guys and their creative output does a far better job at catering to the masses than the communication efforts of 99% of their critics employed in marketing.

They refuse to acknowledge facts.

FACT:-  Chetan Bhagat is the most successful author; commercially. His novels cater to 4.41 mn people. Typical Indian bestsellers sell about 3000 – 5000 copies per print run, with a repeat run of 2000 copies/annum; if they are lucky. So it is a proven fact that Chetan Bhagat has not just sold books, but he’s increased the readership base 2200 times over.   

FACT:- He is the most successful commercial screenplay/story writer in Bollywood; if you take the average business the movies he’s involved in or the ones based on his novels make; that no. comes to Rs. 192 cr.[ 3 Idiots (392 cr.), Kai Po Che (78 cr), 2 States (107 cr), Kick (354 cr), Hello (30 odd cr, not sure)]. There is not writer in Bollywood whose commercial success comes anywhere close to that.

FACT:- The movies we diss. Dhoom 3, Kick, Ek Tha Tiger, Dabangg & Dabangg 2 have made more than Rs. 2000 cr between them. What this means is that it’s got more people to watch this movie than the regular average. And it has got repeat viewership. Neither of which is a bad thing in any creative business. It’s, in fact, what most people strive for.

What we don’t recognize is that by being dismissive of their success; we are:-

1.       Iimplying that our view of “quality” content should be the norm. The reality is that it is not.

2.       Creating a basic distinction between commercial success and quality. Again erroneous, because these films and books do the business they do because to a lot of people; they are in fact; a stellar benchmark of quality entertainment.

3.       Acknowledging our narrow minded ness. I’m sure that Chetan Bhagat, Aamir Khan, Salman Khan are not intellectually challenged. If anything; they are extremely smart. They have managed to consistently create content that is a hit with the masses. Which we, as advertisers and marketers, struggle with.

4.       We hide our jealousy behind our dismissiveness. Because most of us would trade an arm and a leg for their success and fame.

I don’t love Salman’s films. I find them mediocre. And I don’t think Chetan Bhagat is the best author in the world.


But I do acknowledge that they have cracked the Indian middle class. And salute them for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revolution 2020 - The Alternate Ending

Chapter 42 On March 1, I worked a lot harder than I normally do. I went through the mid-term results that Dean Srivastava brought over. I met with Bedi to discuss plans for the institution moving into engineering and MBA. I met with every student; every staff member who knocked on my door. I did everything to not look at that one card that Raghav had sent through in my mail a week back. But I couldn’t avoid it. Every 10 minutes; my eyes automatically glanced at it. And none of what anyone said registered in my head. The message on the card just kept coming back to me Mrs and Mr Anil Kashyap Invite the pleasure of your company For the wedding of their beloved son Raghav With Aarti (D/O Mrs and Mr Pratap Brij Pradhan, DM) At 8 p.m. On March 1, 2010 Poolside Lawns Taj Ganga, Varanasi I scheduled a visit to Shuklaji that evening. It was my way of ensuring that I wouldn’t be tempted to land up at the Taj Ganga. God knows I did!! I wanted ...

Sunday Morning Musings: "Cannes" the Journey Have Been Better?

Having just returned from the French Riviera, I have no intention of adding to the already exhausted chorus of post-Cannes euphoria or critique. Instead, staying true to my passion with the evolution of words , I have chosen to look at Cannes through a historical lens to trace how a modest gathering of cinema publicists transformed into a sun-kissed show of global capitalism. I. The Venetian Genesis and the Moving Image (1954–1983) The roots of the festival originate in the post-World War II media landscape, specifically within the domain of cinema screen advertising. The 1954 Inauguration: A group of international cinema screen advertising contractors belonging to the Screen Advertising World Association (SAWA) organized the inaugural International Advertising Film Festival in Venice, Italy. The Search for Validation: Inspired by the rapid rise of the Cannes Film Festival, SAWA sought a parallel platform. They believed that those who created commercial films deserved the same artis...

Willow vs. Warheads - 40 years of geopolitical theatre on a cricket field.

For the last one week, I and few million cricket fans have been waiting in anticipation for this India Pakistan world T20 clash. While this has always been the pinnacle of excitement for fanatics on both sides of the border, the recent geo political tensions have added uncertainty, trepidation and bite to an already tense on-field enmity. It was this context that got me thinking about the progress (or lack of it) of this spectacular rivalry over the last 40 years. Decade Focus Statistical Trend Political Environment 1980s Sharjah Dominance Pakistan Advantage Brasstacks & Zia Diplomacy 1990s World Cup & Neutrality Pakistan (ODI) / India (WC) Kargil & Nuclear Tests 2000s Friendship & Rupture Parity / India Growth 2004 Tour to 2008 Attacks 2010s Isolation & ICC Dominance India Dominance...