Skip to main content

Shailesh Iyer - When words truly can't do justice

 I have only ever had words and a way of stringing them together to explore, remind, re-build and sometimes critique. They have held me in good stead in building a career and staying afloat in life.

They have helped me build memories. Overcome challenges. And re-build from losses. In times of deep despair, I have written my way out of a deep, sometimes very dark hole.

But with growing age and mounting losses, the rope I build with words does not have the same strength I could bind into them. The words flow like water over skin - they provide some temporary respite but can't become the shield that protects it. 

Close on the heels of Jindal's loss (who passed away on March 4th), came the news of another friend, Shailesh Iyer's passing. Its a bit like a 1-2 in the boxing ring. The first punch knocks the wind out of your sails and the second one may not be as lethal but just lands harder, because you are already half way to the mat after the first punch.

A lot will be written about Shailesh's stellar professional achievements, all of which are true. He was a sparkling planner with intellect that few could match. He had the effervescence that brought teams together and he had an honesty about his work that would make most marketers hanker for his time and advice.

But the Shailesh I know was a loving, giving friend. I didn't know him or of him before I moved to Indonesia. I heard of him from a common friend and reached out to meet for a drink. Similarly, he didn't know me or of me. But he showed up, that evening and over more than a few drinks, we bonded. 

Over the next couple of years, we met often, drinking, eating, shooting the wind. He had a much larger social circle in Jakarta than I did but he'd always make the time to meet/catch up. Its easy to characterize this as "we hit it off" but in truth, this term demeans the effort two individuals put behind nurturing a friendship.

Friendship is a bond made by choice. And it requires effort to make it something of meaning and consequence. Shailesh put that effort into an adult friendship that was nurtured in our late 30s. I have never quite said this to him but the time he spared was invaluable to the time I spent in Jakarta.

Over the years, we met a fair few times, as we moved cities from Jakarta to Singapore. Admittedly, the last 3-4 years came with more turbulence, professionally than what Shailesh would have wished for. And certainly with many more medical issues than he would have ever imagined. 

But he dealt with all of them with fight I can only admire but not replicate and a calming smile that was just that - calming. If I need to ever know what smiling in the face of tough odds looks like, I will just imagine Shailesh's face starting back at me across the dinner table at Podi & Poriyal a few days before his first cancer treatment. Telling me - its fine. Its just fine.

Regret and nostalgia are both retrospectively amplified. There are some regrets about not staying in touch enough that I will carry but they are for me to process. The nostalgia though, is a happy place, because Shailesh's memories are a lightbulb of happiness and a reminder of a friend who knew how to be there. While I can only speak for myself, I reckon a whole lot of people whose life he has touched will feel the same way.

Go well, my friend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revolution 2020 - The Alternate Ending

Chapter 42 On March 1, I worked a lot harder than I normally do. I went through the mid-term results that Dean Srivastava brought over. I met with Bedi to discuss plans for the institution moving into engineering and MBA. I met with every student; every staff member who knocked on my door. I did everything to not look at that one card that Raghav had sent through in my mail a week back. But I couldn’t avoid it. Every 10 minutes; my eyes automatically glanced at it. And none of what anyone said registered in my head. The message on the card just kept coming back to me Mrs and Mr Anil Kashyap Invite the pleasure of your company For the wedding of their beloved son Raghav With Aarti (D/O Mrs and Mr Pratap Brij Pradhan, DM) At 8 p.m. On March 1, 2010 Poolside Lawns Taj Ganga, Varanasi I scheduled a visit to Shuklaji that evening. It was my way of ensuring that I wouldn’t be tempted to land up at the Taj Ganga. God knows I did!! I wanted ...

Sunday Morning Musings: "Cannes" the Journey Have Been Better?

Having just returned from the French Riviera, I have no intention of adding to the already exhausted chorus of post-Cannes euphoria or critique. Instead, staying true to my passion with the evolution of words , I have chosen to look at Cannes through a historical lens to trace how a modest gathering of cinema publicists transformed into a sun-kissed show of global capitalism. I. The Venetian Genesis and the Moving Image (1954–1983) The roots of the festival originate in the post-World War II media landscape, specifically within the domain of cinema screen advertising. The 1954 Inauguration: A group of international cinema screen advertising contractors belonging to the Screen Advertising World Association (SAWA) organized the inaugural International Advertising Film Festival in Venice, Italy. The Search for Validation: Inspired by the rapid rise of the Cannes Film Festival, SAWA sought a parallel platform. They believed that those who created commercial films deserved the same artis...

Willow vs. Warheads - 40 years of geopolitical theatre on a cricket field.

For the last one week, I and few million cricket fans have been waiting in anticipation for this India Pakistan world T20 clash. While this has always been the pinnacle of excitement for fanatics on both sides of the border, the recent geo political tensions have added uncertainty, trepidation and bite to an already tense on-field enmity. It was this context that got me thinking about the progress (or lack of it) of this spectacular rivalry over the last 40 years. Decade Focus Statistical Trend Political Environment 1980s Sharjah Dominance Pakistan Advantage Brasstacks & Zia Diplomacy 1990s World Cup & Neutrality Pakistan (ODI) / India (WC) Kargil & Nuclear Tests 2000s Friendship & Rupture Parity / India Growth 2004 Tour to 2008 Attacks 2010s Isolation & ICC Dominance India Dominance...