Skip to main content

LET US GET THROUGH TO TEA


Every morning, I wake up and watch the world crumble a little further on CNN and BBC. The news of escalating cases and deaths is necessary yet deeply depressing information.

It is also a reminder of how out of sorts we are, as a generation in dealing with the scare of this virus. I call it scare because for a majority of us, it will remain that. Only an unfortunate few will actually experience the virus and an even fewer set will actually succumb to it. But the scare of it reaching us and our families is real. It is the cloud that now sits uncomfortably on top of our head and the haze that you expect to see when you open that front door of your home to look out at whether the world has gotten better.

There is nothing that I, as an individual can add which is of tangible value, even if I’d desperately like to. I am not a medical professional, my wealth is not large enough to positively influence the lives of people  and my skill set as a professional is not directly transferrable to assist any members of the frontline. So as a fellow human, I feel helpless.

The contribution that I will choose to make is around a concept that I have a little more experience than some others – which is around emotional resilience. Losing loved ones often in the last 10 years, living alone for large parts has taught me an essential life skill around being resilient and surviving. There are things that I have done and practiced in those times that have allowed for me to keep my head above the water, sometimes barely.

So my contributions that I will share everyday will be around the concept of resilience – of seeing it through and getting to the other side; emotionally. While physical survival is an immediate CoVid concern, self quarantining and its related downsides of loneliness, space, feeling of helplessness, job secrurity-related worries, cash flow concerns, the daily struggle to get the right groceries, the inability to stay healthy due to lack of exercise, the unavoidable need to do more house chores are all current realities that could build emotional stress.

Emotional stress and instability usually lead to bad short-term decisions and could open up a Pandora’s box inside one’s head that you are simply not prepared to face up to. I should know since I have been there a few times. The impact of everyday loneliness in my life a few years back was telling and I wish that no one I know has to go through that, if I can help avoid it.

And so, through this period; I will write and share some things that I repeat in my head and/or practice in times when I feel out of control or depth. The things that hold me up and help me push through.


This is a video of Micheal Clarke’s eulogy for late Aussie cricketer, Phil Hughes, who tragically and suddenly passed away on the cricket field in end 2014. It was an incredibly tough moment for Australian cricket and the then captain and one of his best, Michael had to do the eulogy.

At sec 1:50; he says something about Phil’s attitude to handling a tough phase in a test match – “Let’s dig in and get through to tea”.

It stuck with me, as a metaphor for getting through tough times. In cricket parlance, that means that you put away all your flashy drives, you block all the balls out, respect the conditions, protect your wicket. So you stay alive to come back and play in the session after tea.

In tough times like these, that’s life. Put away our natural instincts to be social. Live one day at a time. Respect the conditions in that the threat of the virus is real. Protect your wicket in that do everything needed to just survive.

Because there will be a session after. When we can hit the ball with gay abandon. But for now, let’s get through to tea.

Comments

Vikfon said…
Thanks Dhiren for your share
K. said…
Great perspective!
ravi deshpande said…
Dear Dhiren, Just came across thsi gem that you have penned. It resonates so closely with what i have felt through this pandemic. You write well. War regards,
Anonymous said…
I usually read your movie articles and I love them all. I didn't know you also read about anything else. As a writer, I am so amazed how good you are at writing. I cried many times when you told us about your beloved one who passed away years ago. And now, I came across this, another perspective which is so refreshing, a bit shocking at some points, but it is a lovely stuff. It's July 2020, and I hope there will be a new post in August.

Popular posts from this blog

Revolution 2020 - The Alternate Ending

Chapter 42 On March 1, I worked a lot harder than I normally do. I went through the mid-term results that Dean Srivastava brought over. I met with Bedi to discuss plans for the institution moving into engineering and MBA. I met with every student; every staff member who knocked on my door. I did everything to not look at that one card that Raghav had sent through in my mail a week back. But I couldn’t avoid it. Every 10 minutes; my eyes automatically glanced at it. And none of what anyone said registered in my head. The message on the card just kept coming back to me Mrs and Mr Anil Kashyap Invite the pleasure of your company For the wedding of their beloved son Raghav With Aarti (D/O Mrs and Mr Pratap Brij Pradhan, DM) At 8 p.m. On March 1, 2010 Poolside Lawns Taj Ganga, Varanasi I scheduled a visit to Shuklaji that evening. It was my way of ensuring that I wouldn’t be tempted to land up at the Taj Ganga. God knows I did!! I wanted ...

Sunday Morning Musings: "Cannes" the Journey Have Been Better?

Having just returned from the French Riviera, I have no intention of adding to the already exhausted chorus of post-Cannes euphoria or critique. Instead, staying true to my passion with the evolution of words , I have chosen to look at Cannes through a historical lens to trace how a modest gathering of cinema publicists transformed into a sun-kissed show of global capitalism. I. The Venetian Genesis and the Moving Image (1954–1983) The roots of the festival originate in the post-World War II media landscape, specifically within the domain of cinema screen advertising. The 1954 Inauguration: A group of international cinema screen advertising contractors belonging to the Screen Advertising World Association (SAWA) organized the inaugural International Advertising Film Festival in Venice, Italy. The Search for Validation: Inspired by the rapid rise of the Cannes Film Festival, SAWA sought a parallel platform. They believed that those who created commercial films deserved the same artis...

Willow vs. Warheads - 40 years of geopolitical theatre on a cricket field.

For the last one week, I and few million cricket fans have been waiting in anticipation for this India Pakistan world T20 clash. While this has always been the pinnacle of excitement for fanatics on both sides of the border, the recent geo political tensions have added uncertainty, trepidation and bite to an already tense on-field enmity. It was this context that got me thinking about the progress (or lack of it) of this spectacular rivalry over the last 40 years. Decade Focus Statistical Trend Political Environment 1980s Sharjah Dominance Pakistan Advantage Brasstacks & Zia Diplomacy 1990s World Cup & Neutrality Pakistan (ODI) / India (WC) Kargil & Nuclear Tests 2000s Friendship & Rupture Parity / India Growth 2004 Tour to 2008 Attacks 2010s Isolation & ICC Dominance India Dominance...