Skip to main content

My "NO"

For a guy who has been brought up in a household of women. And as a person privileged to have been in a relationship with women who were or are equals, if not better; I am having trouble processing the plethora of sexual harassment conversations over the last 3 -4 days.

Sexual harassment is a dark reality, so I am not naïve enough to be surprised by its mention. What has stumped me is that it has happened to and with people who I have known. People I was in the same room with during my professional life. People like AIB who I found to be a leading (comic) voice on things that ail our society. People like Vikas Bahl, who I admired as a professional and then was in awe of, for the creative work Phantom did. And a few of the Indian advertising professionals, some of whom I have had a drink with.

My  proximity to these individuals and my inability to process their creepy behavior is what has confounded me.

But I have realized that Weinstein, Brock Turner, Khamba, Bahl and these advertising professionals under investigation have one thing in common – power. The power to influence people’s lives, careers that allows them to develop a sub-conscious impression that they will get away with it. The power to sit in me and make lewd comments about a woman’s clothing without fear of consequence. Power to masturbate in a female colleague’s room, without worrying about the damage to their reputation.

They build this power because there are bystanders who at best, say nothing. And who, at worst encourage this kind of behavior as a crude “male buddy” joke. They build this power due to inaction.
Silence – driven by fear of harm or embarrassment. Or encouragement – driven by embarrassment or servitude has a role to play in encouraging these monsters.

And so I will do what I can. Based on principles of speaking out and discouraging, these are changes I will make:-

1.      I will clinically and conclusively shut down conversations that shame or disrespect women – irrespective of their profession or social status; during and especially in social gatherings.

2.      As a professional, I will use any authority I have to dissociate with any vendor whose organization has been accused of sexual harassment incidents within my purview of work.

3.      I will refuse to work for an organization that does not swiftly and decisively deal with sexual harassment incidents.

4.      I will not tolerate a professional conversation that involves me, where comments made about women cross the border of professional courtesy.

5.      Finally, I will boycott entertainers who are proven guilty of sexual harassment. As much as I love AIB, Louis CK, the  films that Weinstein made; I will not let their brand of work get my money.


Every individual has the power to deal with sexual harassment in their own way. This is my way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revolution 2020 - The Alternate Ending

Chapter 42 On March 1, I worked a lot harder than I normally do. I went through the mid-term results that Dean Srivastava brought over. I met with Bedi to discuss plans for the institution moving into engineering and MBA. I met with every student; every staff member who knocked on my door. I did everything to not look at that one card that Raghav had sent through in my mail a week back. But I couldn’t avoid it. Every 10 minutes; my eyes automatically glanced at it. And none of what anyone said registered in my head. The message on the card just kept coming back to me Mrs and Mr Anil Kashyap Invite the pleasure of your company For the wedding of their beloved son Raghav With Aarti (D/O Mrs and Mr Pratap Brij Pradhan, DM) At 8 p.m. On March 1, 2010 Poolside Lawns Taj Ganga, Varanasi I scheduled a visit to Shuklaji that evening. It was my way of ensuring that I wouldn’t be tempted to land up at the Taj Ganga. God knows I did!! I wanted ...

Sunday Morning Musings: "Cannes" the Journey Have Been Better?

Having just returned from the French Riviera, I have no intention of adding to the already exhausted chorus of post-Cannes euphoria or critique. Instead, staying true to my passion with the evolution of words , I have chosen to look at Cannes through a historical lens to trace how a modest gathering of cinema publicists transformed into a sun-kissed show of global capitalism. I. The Venetian Genesis and the Moving Image (1954–1983) The roots of the festival originate in the post-World War II media landscape, specifically within the domain of cinema screen advertising. The 1954 Inauguration: A group of international cinema screen advertising contractors belonging to the Screen Advertising World Association (SAWA) organized the inaugural International Advertising Film Festival in Venice, Italy. The Search for Validation: Inspired by the rapid rise of the Cannes Film Festival, SAWA sought a parallel platform. They believed that those who created commercial films deserved the same artis...

Willow vs. Warheads - 40 years of geopolitical theatre on a cricket field.

For the last one week, I and few million cricket fans have been waiting in anticipation for this India Pakistan world T20 clash. While this has always been the pinnacle of excitement for fanatics on both sides of the border, the recent geo political tensions have added uncertainty, trepidation and bite to an already tense on-field enmity. It was this context that got me thinking about the progress (or lack of it) of this spectacular rivalry over the last 40 years. Decade Focus Statistical Trend Political Environment 1980s Sharjah Dominance Pakistan Advantage Brasstacks & Zia Diplomacy 1990s World Cup & Neutrality Pakistan (ODI) / India (WC) Kargil & Nuclear Tests 2000s Friendship & Rupture Parity / India Growth 2004 Tour to 2008 Attacks 2010s Isolation & ICC Dominance India Dominance...