I have a moral disagreement with gender discrimination.
I have a deep hatred for any person or corporation whose employees
ill treat women in any way.
I have huge respect for people who choose to make a living
through ethical means. And by association, a dislike for people who make money
through unethical business practices.
And like any sensible law-abiding citizen, I would have no association
with a murderer.
And yet, using Uber has become second nature.
And watching Salman Khan flicks doesn’t bring with it a
sense of guilt.
I would never be-friend an Uber if he was a person. Imagine
hanging out with a person who thinks of women as unequal, turns a blind eye
towards molestation in his family and who is known to be manipulative in his professional
dealings.
You’d stay as far as possible for this person.
As you would if the person was accused of killing 7 people
and routinely beating up his girlfriends.
But we’re more than happy to give them our money and our
time.
Why do I (and many of us, I assume) conveniently twist my
rigid principles for a $2 saving on an Uber ride or 2 works of fun in the
cinema?
Why is the price of my morality less than the price of an
Uber discount?
Because I can hide behind the comfortable excuse of
insignificance. And the convenient truth about degrees of separation.
Comfortable excuse
of insignificance – “What will the loss of my few hundred dollars make
to Uber? They make billions and will continue doing so.”
Convenient truth
about degrees of separation – “It’s not like I am being friends with Salman
personally. I never will. I am just watching his movie.”
The inconvenient truth is – We (read I) are selfish,
materialistic human beings. The everyday convenience of an Uber ride and the 2
hours of escape a Salman flick provide are guilty pleasures we are just not
willing to give up.
It’s why Uber will never lose people like us on ethical
grounds. There will be an insignificant few with a strong moral spine who can
and will boycott an Uber.
But just like the elections, these noble few are too small
in number to matter to either Uber or Salman.
I am neither forgiving not forgetful.
I am just needy.
I am just “BEING HUMAN”.
Unfortunately for me, Salman Khan knows this only too well.
Comments