Skip to main content

THE SPORT CHRONICLES CHAPTER II: IF YOU START A RACE, FINISH IT.

My hyperactive nature extended to competitive sport too, during the school years.

This manifested in me participating in categories that I did not train for and hence had no business competing in – long jump, high jump, 400m and 800m races.

There was really no upside to such participation. Since I was a short distance runner and did not have the physique or stamina for these categories; the following should have been obvious

1.       I had no chance of winning in these categories.

2.       I was at risk of hurting myself, pulling some muscle or twisting an ankle.

But a combination of cockiness and eagerness trumped logic at that age.

This is a story of when I chose to participate in a 800m race in asignificant tournament; when one of our team runners couldn’t race. This was a morning race and I had qualified for the 100m, 200m and 100x4 relay scheduled in the afternoon.

I had not informed my coach about my decision. And when he heard about it, he did give me a earful, stating very clearly that I was risking my position in the finals.

But he did have one thing to say just before I ran the 800m race. He said “If you start the race, finish it”.

It was a relevant comment. I was used to 100m and 200m dashes and hence was not equipped to run a 800m, which simply put, is not a dash but a race where you build speed. There was a risk of me not being able to complete the race.

But it was not an isolated comment. It was also a comment about resilience. About not giving up, especially in a situation when you may not win. It is still important to complete what you started.

Showing resilience in situations when challenges are big but results could be big too is relatively easier.

It is way tougher to stay the course when you know the end result may not be perfect. I have had many situations where a marketing campaigns didn’t turn out as awesome as we wanted, a pack design couldn’t be what we envisioned, and a product didn’t have the sensory appeal we aimed to hit.

It is in these times that my coach’s words push me along “If you start a race, finish it”.

It taught me to finish anything that I started, every single time, irrespective of its ability to succeed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revolution 2020 - The Alternate Ending

Chapter 42 On March 1, I worked a lot harder than I normally do. I went through the mid-term results that Dean Srivastava brought over. I met with Bedi to discuss plans for the institution moving into engineering and MBA. I met with every student; every staff member who knocked on my door. I did everything to not look at that one card that Raghav had sent through in my mail a week back. But I couldn’t avoid it. Every 10 minutes; my eyes automatically glanced at it. And none of what anyone said registered in my head. The message on the card just kept coming back to me Mrs and Mr Anil Kashyap Invite the pleasure of your company For the wedding of their beloved son Raghav With Aarti (D/O Mrs and Mr Pratap Brij Pradhan, DM) At 8 p.m. On March 1, 2010 Poolside Lawns Taj Ganga, Varanasi I scheduled a visit to Shuklaji that evening. It was my way of ensuring that I wouldn’t be tempted to land up at the Taj Ganga. God knows I did!! I wanted ...

Sunday Morning Musings: "Cannes" the Journey Have Been Better?

Having just returned from the French Riviera, I have no intention of adding to the already exhausted chorus of post-Cannes euphoria or critique. Instead, staying true to my passion with the evolution of words , I have chosen to look at Cannes through a historical lens to trace how a modest gathering of cinema publicists transformed into a sun-kissed show of global capitalism. I. The Venetian Genesis and the Moving Image (1954–1983) The roots of the festival originate in the post-World War II media landscape, specifically within the domain of cinema screen advertising. The 1954 Inauguration: A group of international cinema screen advertising contractors belonging to the Screen Advertising World Association (SAWA) organized the inaugural International Advertising Film Festival in Venice, Italy. The Search for Validation: Inspired by the rapid rise of the Cannes Film Festival, SAWA sought a parallel platform. They believed that those who created commercial films deserved the same artis...

Willow vs. Warheads - 40 years of geopolitical theatre on a cricket field.

For the last one week, I and few million cricket fans have been waiting in anticipation for this India Pakistan world T20 clash. While this has always been the pinnacle of excitement for fanatics on both sides of the border, the recent geo political tensions have added uncertainty, trepidation and bite to an already tense on-field enmity. It was this context that got me thinking about the progress (or lack of it) of this spectacular rivalry over the last 40 years. Decade Focus Statistical Trend Political Environment 1980s Sharjah Dominance Pakistan Advantage Brasstacks & Zia Diplomacy 1990s World Cup & Neutrality Pakistan (ODI) / India (WC) Kargil & Nuclear Tests 2000s Friendship & Rupture Parity / India Growth 2004 Tour to 2008 Attacks 2010s Isolation & ICC Dominance India Dominance...