A lot has been said about Salman Khan’s alleged use of the
word “rape”.
First things first; I believe the person is an idiot. He is
daft and stupid for having made that reference.
I also believe he has committed a criminal offence, multiple
times.
I do not like him as an actor and have never bought a “Being
Human” shirt. I never will.
But I think, in this particular instance, this debate and
furore exposes some of our own hypocrisies.
I have 4 arguments to put forth on this topic.
A CASE OF
MISPLACED PRIORITIES
He is a guy who got away with murder; literally.
First for killing animals; blackbucks to be specific.
Second; for driving over people in a “hit-and-run” case.
All of us know he did it. However, when he was acquitted
earlier this year; there was no rage, no major television debates; not a
fraction of the conversations that are being had now.
People who are criticizing him for language now but said
nothing when he got away with murder are fighting the more convenient battle
and frankly one with no consequences.
A case of misplaced
priorities?
SELECTIVE
CRITICISM
There is a 4-minute scene in 3 Idiots where Chatur says the
word “balatkaar”. Repeatedly.
It mocks homosexuality, male genitals and uses repeated rape
as a laugh inducing joke.
Aamir Khan is shown as the person who replaces “chamataar”
with “balatkaar”. A celebrity with equal gravitas as Salman Khan; who endorses
this language within the canvas of a movie that has a UA certificate and is
watched by millions of kids.
It uses rape as a context to make audiences laugh.
(A clip of the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb9K1O945O0)
Yet, that scene was not criticized or frowned upon. Everyone
got a hearty laugh out of it.
However, in this particular case; we find the reference
offensive.
Isn’t that selective criticism?
PRACTICE WHAT WE
PREACH
I have said this a fair few times “Kohli ne toh unki le li”;
“Aaj toh humne unki bund maar di”; “Federer ne Nadal ka toh rape kar diya”.
And if we think about it; as Indian men, a lot of us are
guilty of using this language, in private, amongst friends and family.
Sure; we have better self control in public and stupid
Salman didn’t.
But if this issue of using the word inappropriately truly
bothers us; then we should stop using the language in any context. And that
should start with us.
Until then; we have no moral high ground to judge anyone
else who does the same.
WE HOLD STARS
ACCOUNTABLE BUT NOT MEDIA RESPONSIBLE
When Salman uttered the words, there was laughter amongst
the reporters. Not one reporter had the courage to question or correct him
then.
If the media is the conscience keeper of society; then why
would they keep using this to create headlines but not correct the action when
it happens?
Where the media responsibility in these actions?
As I said before; I don’t endorse what Salman Khan said. It
is daft, uncalled for and irresponsible. However, I have no moral right to
question him because I use similar language, had my share of laughs watching
that scene in 3 Idiots and had nothing to say when the guy got away with
murder, literally.
Comments