Skip to main content

The “I have never…” game


At an office party this Friday (December 5, 2008), everyone decided to play the “I have never…….” Game. The way it works is that each person mentions an “I have never __________” moment of their life and if the others have, then they take a sip of their drink. Fairly simple but a lot of fun. If everyone play the game seriously, some real interesting things about people can come out. Given the fact that I was buzzing quite a bit, a lot of my so called secrets did get out into the open.

But it did get me thinking, thinking about the fact that we drift on life without trying a lot of things. Things you’d have wanted to do in a lifetime but never have thought about it. Other people’s “I have nevers….” become a goal/cause for envy for many others. It’ll be worth wondering whether there are some of those interesting things in life that you have always wanted to do but never really thought of.

The bucket list but one that hasn’t made it to the mind yet.

So I thought I’d begin by penning down my “I have never…” list that I must achieve before I make the journey heavenwards:

1.       I have never done a wheelie

 

2.       I have never finished a book in a day

 

3.       I have never directed a film or even written one

 

4.       I have never made a crore in a year

 

5.       I have never made it to the front page of a newspaper

 

6.       I have never stolen/shop lifted

 

7.       I have never bungee jumped/air glided

 

8.       I have never attended a film premiere

 

9.       I have never bunked office just for the heck of it

 

10.   I have never managed to strike up a conversation with a fellow passenger (stranger) during an air or train journey

 

11.   I have never invested in the stock market

 

12.   I’ve never taken off on a journey just by pure instinct

 

13.   I have never done a “spa trip” in the Himalayas

 

14.   I’ve never done a “3 pointer on the whistle” or a “last ball boundary” (not literally but in the figurative sense)

 

15.   I’ve never planned for more than 5 years (it’s time I did)

 

16.   I’ve never really figured out what I really want to do in life (am sure not many have – read “Keep Off The Grass”, you’ll believe me)

 

Yeah, that’s my bucket list in a sense. Hopefully, I’ll have achieved most of these by the time I’m done.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dammit....now you got me thinking....:P
There is a book called "100 things to do before I die" and another called "1000 places to visit before I die" which is precisely for people like you. Readymade lists!

Popular posts from this blog

Revolution 2020 - The Alternate Ending

Chapter 42 On March 1, I worked a lot harder than I normally do. I went through the mid-term results that Dean Srivastava brought over. I met with Bedi to discuss plans for the institution moving into engineering and MBA. I met with every student; every staff member who knocked on my door. I did everything to not look at that one card that Raghav had sent through in my mail a week back. But I couldn’t avoid it. Every 10 minutes; my eyes automatically glanced at it. And none of what anyone said registered in my head. The message on the card just kept coming back to me Mrs and Mr Anil Kashyap Invite the pleasure of your company For the wedding of their beloved son Raghav With Aarti (D/O Mrs and Mr Pratap Brij Pradhan, DM) At 8 p.m. On March 1, 2010 Poolside Lawns Taj Ganga, Varanasi I scheduled a visit to Shuklaji that evening. It was my way of ensuring that I wouldn’t be tempted to land up at the Taj Ganga. God knows I did!! I wanted ...

Sunday Morning Musings: "Cannes" the Journey Have Been Better?

Having just returned from the French Riviera, I have no intention of adding to the already exhausted chorus of post-Cannes euphoria or critique. Instead, staying true to my passion with the evolution of words , I have chosen to look at Cannes through a historical lens to trace how a modest gathering of cinema publicists transformed into a sun-kissed show of global capitalism. I. The Venetian Genesis and the Moving Image (1954–1983) The roots of the festival originate in the post-World War II media landscape, specifically within the domain of cinema screen advertising. The 1954 Inauguration: A group of international cinema screen advertising contractors belonging to the Screen Advertising World Association (SAWA) organized the inaugural International Advertising Film Festival in Venice, Italy. The Search for Validation: Inspired by the rapid rise of the Cannes Film Festival, SAWA sought a parallel platform. They believed that those who created commercial films deserved the same artis...

Willow vs. Warheads - 40 years of geopolitical theatre on a cricket field.

For the last one week, I and few million cricket fans have been waiting in anticipation for this India Pakistan world T20 clash. While this has always been the pinnacle of excitement for fanatics on both sides of the border, the recent geo political tensions have added uncertainty, trepidation and bite to an already tense on-field enmity. It was this context that got me thinking about the progress (or lack of it) of this spectacular rivalry over the last 40 years. Decade Focus Statistical Trend Political Environment 1980s Sharjah Dominance Pakistan Advantage Brasstacks & Zia Diplomacy 1990s World Cup & Neutrality Pakistan (ODI) / India (WC) Kargil & Nuclear Tests 2000s Friendship & Rupture Parity / India Growth 2004 Tour to 2008 Attacks 2010s Isolation & ICC Dominance India Dominance...