Skip to main content

The Arrogance Of Being Indian


“Resurgent India” is a term we’ve heard so many times in the last two years that it’s coming out of our ears now. More importantly, its all made us believe that Indianness is truly a resurgent sentiment. The reality is that this feeling is restricted to the metros and that too may be a questionable assumption. At least that’s what can be deduced from the findings of the “Bunty Syndrome” Study conducted by us at Euro RSCG.

For those of you who don't know, Bunty Syndrome is Euro RSCG's study of attitudes, behaviour and trends in Tier 2 cities of India. The study interviewed 2400 young people in 12 non-metro cities of India.

If you think about it, the reality will seem fairly apparent. The “brain drain” that India faced for close to 10 years was primarily a metro (read Tier I) phenomenon. It was the youth in the urban metros that lost their belief in the Indian system and opportunities owing to the perceived lack of career options coupled with the flawed Indian system. Hence, the obvious aspiration was to catch the next available flight to USA and hope to live a life of their dreams.

It is also the urban metros that are responsible for the “reverse brain drain” as well. As the economy started galloping and the service sector boomed, the young Indians (in the age group of 27 – 35) primarily who had migrated to other countries realized that the future seemed brighter back home.

Hence, it is only with the urban metros that we can probably attribute “resurgence of Indianness” since it is only here that the belief in the Indian values had actually waned and subsequently came back.

In the rest of the country (Tier II cities included), the belief in the Indian values and systems had never actually waned. Of course, cynicism existed and probably still does in small measures. But for multiple reasons (lack of visible opportunities and insufficient support may be a couple) the Indians in the Tier II cities never really considered jumping over to the other side of the oceans. They youth in these cities knew that they needed to make a living in India and hence believed a lot more in the Indian values and cultures than probably their urban counterparts. The only issue was that there was a lot of wrongs happening around them (corruption, lack of opportunities, casteism) because of which they could not openly show their positivism about India since they had no evidence to back it.

Today, with the Indian sub continent performing like it’s on steroids, there is a lot for these youth in the Tier II cities to feel proud about. And hence, they can very confidently and openly show their pride in being Indian. They have found the ammunition to back their belief in the motherland. In the Tier II cities, its not about resurgence but about the “Arrogance of being Indian”. This comes through quite clearly in the study. More than 94% of the respondents in the Tier II cities indicated that they’d prefer to work in India rather than abroad. The urban metros had 76% of the respondents indicating such a sentiment.

I guess that’s why youth in the urban metros watched “Chak De India” and were rejuvenated but not the youth in the Tier II cities. That’s because they live “Chak De India” every single day

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Dhiren,
very true! the proud to be Indian feeling was always there is the tier 2 cities....

I think all of us actually do not know how the youth feel elsewhere and think Mumbai is equal to India

cheers!
Anonymous said…
Dhiren, what you have said summarises the spirit of Indian Youth. Cheers!
Anonymous said…
Good post.

Popular posts from this blog

Revolution 2020 - The Alternate Ending

Chapter 42 On March 1, I worked a lot harder than I normally do. I went through the mid-term results that Dean Srivastava brought over. I met with Bedi to discuss plans for the institution moving into engineering and MBA. I met with every student; every staff member who knocked on my door. I did everything to not look at that one card that Raghav had sent through in my mail a week back. But I couldn’t avoid it. Every 10 minutes; my eyes automatically glanced at it. And none of what anyone said registered in my head. The message on the card just kept coming back to me Mrs and Mr Anil Kashyap Invite the pleasure of your company For the wedding of their beloved son Raghav With Aarti (D/O Mrs and Mr Pratap Brij Pradhan, DM) At 8 p.m. On March 1, 2010 Poolside Lawns Taj Ganga, Varanasi I scheduled a visit to Shuklaji that evening. It was my way of ensuring that I wouldn’t be tempted to land up at the Taj Ganga. God knows I did!! I wanted ...

Sunday Morning Musings: "Cannes" the Journey Have Been Better?

Having just returned from the French Riviera, I have no intention of adding to the already exhausted chorus of post-Cannes euphoria or critique. Instead, staying true to my passion with the evolution of words , I have chosen to look at Cannes through a historical lens to trace how a modest gathering of cinema publicists transformed into a sun-kissed show of global capitalism. I. The Venetian Genesis and the Moving Image (1954–1983) The roots of the festival originate in the post-World War II media landscape, specifically within the domain of cinema screen advertising. The 1954 Inauguration: A group of international cinema screen advertising contractors belonging to the Screen Advertising World Association (SAWA) organized the inaugural International Advertising Film Festival in Venice, Italy. The Search for Validation: Inspired by the rapid rise of the Cannes Film Festival, SAWA sought a parallel platform. They believed that those who created commercial films deserved the same artis...

Willow vs. Warheads - 40 years of geopolitical theatre on a cricket field.

For the last one week, I and few million cricket fans have been waiting in anticipation for this India Pakistan world T20 clash. While this has always been the pinnacle of excitement for fanatics on both sides of the border, the recent geo political tensions have added uncertainty, trepidation and bite to an already tense on-field enmity. It was this context that got me thinking about the progress (or lack of it) of this spectacular rivalry over the last 40 years. Decade Focus Statistical Trend Political Environment 1980s Sharjah Dominance Pakistan Advantage Brasstacks & Zia Diplomacy 1990s World Cup & Neutrality Pakistan (ODI) / India (WC) Kargil & Nuclear Tests 2000s Friendship & Rupture Parity / India Growth 2004 Tour to 2008 Attacks 2010s Isolation & ICC Dominance India Dominance...