Skip to main content

Servicing a Pitch


It's forever been a grey area (at least during my rather short experience with advertising); what role does servicing play when it comes to working on a new business pitch? Does the role end with mere orchestration (fixing time with the client, ensuring that the planners and creatives talk, ensuring that everyone's working to a deadline and applying pressure in the system to assure delivery) or does it end with being a support function (collating data, feeding information, shooting and recording AVs) or is there a way where the value add moves beyond these two?


I've worked on two pitches where the scope of servicing in a pitch has moved beyond the two roles mentioned above and i have to say it was their inputs that made the overall experience of working on the pitch a lot more satisfying. The primary reason for this was the fact that servicing was not (and the involved persons did not act as) a support function but an integral unit of the entire process. In a way, they lead the pitch.


Their inputs were based on two fairly simple facts:


1. They knew the brief from the client a lot, lot better than anybody else involved


2. They knew exactly what the client wanted - again much beyond anybody else involved in the pitch from the agency side did.


And these two facts allowed them to achieve the following:


1. Help channelise the content presented in manner that it answered the brief and also ensured we said everything the client wanted to hear


2. Ensure that we touch upon and deliver aginst every key point mentioned in the brief


3. Keep the client's interests at the heart of our efforts


4. Lead the pitch - not just in terms of orchestration the deliverables but in terms of orchestrating the entire process - from brief to presentation to creative.


5. Have a point of view to share in the meeting which is in sync with the overall thought that the agency aims to project


Servicing thus can make a difference by adding focus and a degree of corrrectness to the presentation and the creative. However, this particular role is not a matter of spending a couple of hours with the concerned teams; it's a matter of spending a day and in some cases days at end sitting in on the process of creation itself.


In the pace at which work's done, there is an argument that the time required for this kind of activity is hard to find. But the counter argument to that is that "time" is a small price to pay for ensuring that the output the agency presents is accurate. It's an even smaller price that one pays when you consider that it allows us to truly live upto the one promise that we repeatedly make to our clients: integration not just in processes but in thought as well


Pitch orchestrators --> Pitch drivers....that's the choice to make!!


Disclaimer: Mine's an opinion restricted to my immediate surroundings....so please forgive me if this comes across as shor-sighted.....it's in the spirit of the key idea behind my blog, "Random Ramblings"!!

Comments

Unknown said…
Haven't you forgotten one critical role - ordering dinner the night before the pitch?
acetrump said…
Well, in the spirit of random rambling, I'd like to ramble on about i-got-a-battered-person-syndrome (often found in these servicing folks).

Again in the spirit of random ramblings, I'd like to randomely quote "I am an avid people watcher and this is my psycho anyalsis of the servicing folks.

So a servicing fella is some one who:
Point 1: Always takes interest of abuser(read creative) before anything else, often to detriment to self and everyone else around them

Point 2(read a bigger font size):Unable to make decisions on own without consulting abuser first
Never questions or confronts abuser, sometimes believing their abuser is omnipotent

Point 3 (big point size again):Often becomes aggressive or abusive to others who attempts to offer assistance to the abuser.

Disclaimer:
All in the spirit of no-hard- feelings and random ramblings. Lemme read the post again for that pitch thing, Dhiren :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Revolution 2020 - The Alternate Ending

Chapter 42 On March 1, I worked a lot harder than I normally do. I went through the mid-term results that Dean Srivastava brought over. I met with Bedi to discuss plans for the institution moving into engineering and MBA. I met with every student; every staff member who knocked on my door. I did everything to not look at that one card that Raghav had sent through in my mail a week back. But I couldn’t avoid it. Every 10 minutes; my eyes automatically glanced at it. And none of what anyone said registered in my head. The message on the card just kept coming back to me Mrs and Mr Anil Kashyap Invite the pleasure of your company For the wedding of their beloved son Raghav With Aarti (D/O Mrs and Mr Pratap Brij Pradhan, DM) At 8 p.m. On March 1, 2010 Poolside Lawns Taj Ganga, Varanasi I scheduled a visit to Shuklaji that evening. It was my way of ensuring that I wouldn’t be tempted to land up at the Taj Ganga. God knows I did!! I wanted ...

Sunday Morning Musings: "Cannes" the Journey Have Been Better?

Having just returned from the French Riviera, I have no intention of adding to the already exhausted chorus of post-Cannes euphoria or critique. Instead, staying true to my passion with the evolution of words , I have chosen to look at Cannes through a historical lens to trace how a modest gathering of cinema publicists transformed into a sun-kissed show of global capitalism. I. The Venetian Genesis and the Moving Image (1954–1983) The roots of the festival originate in the post-World War II media landscape, specifically within the domain of cinema screen advertising. The 1954 Inauguration: A group of international cinema screen advertising contractors belonging to the Screen Advertising World Association (SAWA) organized the inaugural International Advertising Film Festival in Venice, Italy. The Search for Validation: Inspired by the rapid rise of the Cannes Film Festival, SAWA sought a parallel platform. They believed that those who created commercial films deserved the same artis...

Willow vs. Warheads - 40 years of geopolitical theatre on a cricket field.

For the last one week, I and few million cricket fans have been waiting in anticipation for this India Pakistan world T20 clash. While this has always been the pinnacle of excitement for fanatics on both sides of the border, the recent geo political tensions have added uncertainty, trepidation and bite to an already tense on-field enmity. It was this context that got me thinking about the progress (or lack of it) of this spectacular rivalry over the last 40 years. Decade Focus Statistical Trend Political Environment 1980s Sharjah Dominance Pakistan Advantage Brasstacks & Zia Diplomacy 1990s World Cup & Neutrality Pakistan (ODI) / India (WC) Kargil & Nuclear Tests 2000s Friendship & Rupture Parity / India Growth 2004 Tour to 2008 Attacks 2010s Isolation & ICC Dominance India Dominance...