Skip to main content

Cricket Will Never Be The Same Again

I absolutely abhor the Australian cricket team. For a die-hard Indian cricket fan like me; they have been the cause of great heart burn and innumerable humiliations. I still hope that in the upcoming world cup; we do manage to whoop their cumulative arses and avenge some of the sore wounds they have given us.

But today morning; on the second day of the new year; I have let myself lower my guard a little bit and ponder over some of the developments of the past three weeks. True; I hate the Aussies from the bottom of my heart but then that’s because they have always been talented enough as a team to make us Indians look almost amateurish at times at the way that we play our cricket. And for that; most of those guys command my respect too.

Hence; I think in about a month from now, cricket will be a little different. It will be a little different when Glenn McGrath does not amble in to ball all six balls in the corridor. It will be a little different when Warney; the magician, does not get one to rear up and make a hapless opposition batsmen look eternally stupid. It will be a little different when you can’t see Damien Martyn walk in at No. 4 and play the most technically correct game an Aussie player can ever play. And it will be a little different when you don’t see Langer dig his heels in and ensure that the Aussies are 102-0 every second time they walk to bat.

These four blokes along with Ponting formed the foundation of the successful Aussie juggernaut after the departure of Steve Waugh. Between them they ensured that the now well recognized Aussie attitude towards to game never dipped and I think more importantly, was imbibed in new recruits over the years. Each of them tough men; forever criticized either for attitude on/off field (Warne); kept being interrupted in the drive towards greatness by recurring injuries (McGrath); always doubted for talent although numbers suggested otherwise (Langer, Martyn); they somehow found a way to keep these menial issues outside of their purview and ensure that Australia reached the distinction that it deserves in the Test as well as the One-day arena.

And now they are gone. The next time the Aussie team walks into the cricket field; it’ll be without the magic of Warne, the accuracy of a McGrath, the solidity of a Martyn and the doggedness of a Langer. Will it make them a weaker team? Going by the history of the Aussie team; probably not. But one thing’s for sure; their cricket and that of the world will not quite be the same again.

Ode to you mates; well played!! Cricket will miss you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revolution 2020 - The Alternate Ending

Chapter 42 On March 1, I worked a lot harder than I normally do. I went through the mid-term results that Dean Srivastava brought over. I met with Bedi to discuss plans for the institution moving into engineering and MBA. I met with every student; every staff member who knocked on my door. I did everything to not look at that one card that Raghav had sent through in my mail a week back. But I couldn’t avoid it. Every 10 minutes; my eyes automatically glanced at it. And none of what anyone said registered in my head. The message on the card just kept coming back to me Mrs and Mr Anil Kashyap Invite the pleasure of your company For the wedding of their beloved son Raghav With Aarti (D/O Mrs and Mr Pratap Brij Pradhan, DM) At 8 p.m. On March 1, 2010 Poolside Lawns Taj Ganga, Varanasi I scheduled a visit to Shuklaji that evening. It was my way of ensuring that I wouldn’t be tempted to land up at the Taj Ganga. God knows I did!! I wanted ...

Sunday Morning Musings: "Cannes" the Journey Have Been Better?

Having just returned from the French Riviera, I have no intention of adding to the already exhausted chorus of post-Cannes euphoria or critique. Instead, staying true to my passion with the evolution of words , I have chosen to look at Cannes through a historical lens to trace how a modest gathering of cinema publicists transformed into a sun-kissed show of global capitalism. I. The Venetian Genesis and the Moving Image (1954–1983) The roots of the festival originate in the post-World War II media landscape, specifically within the domain of cinema screen advertising. The 1954 Inauguration: A group of international cinema screen advertising contractors belonging to the Screen Advertising World Association (SAWA) organized the inaugural International Advertising Film Festival in Venice, Italy. The Search for Validation: Inspired by the rapid rise of the Cannes Film Festival, SAWA sought a parallel platform. They believed that those who created commercial films deserved the same artis...

Willow vs. Warheads - 40 years of geopolitical theatre on a cricket field.

For the last one week, I and few million cricket fans have been waiting in anticipation for this India Pakistan world T20 clash. While this has always been the pinnacle of excitement for fanatics on both sides of the border, the recent geo political tensions have added uncertainty, trepidation and bite to an already tense on-field enmity. It was this context that got me thinking about the progress (or lack of it) of this spectacular rivalry over the last 40 years. Decade Focus Statistical Trend Political Environment 1980s Sharjah Dominance Pakistan Advantage Brasstacks & Zia Diplomacy 1990s World Cup & Neutrality Pakistan (ODI) / India (WC) Kargil & Nuclear Tests 2000s Friendship & Rupture Parity / India Growth 2004 Tour to 2008 Attacks 2010s Isolation & ICC Dominance India Dominance...